Thursday 14 December 2017

Last reflections...

Writing from back in the UK, having recovered (just) from the jet lag... what would my top experiences be?

1.  Chai! - I was fortunate to drink chai every day and in lots of places - from a street vendor by Fateh Sagar, in the home of a rickshaw driver (I also had a lesson on making it here!), every morning on campus and in a thin china cup and saucer at a posh hotel.   If pushed as to the best (in my view) .... it would be the street vendor - lots of ginger and a slight smokiness.

2. Curries!  I ate curries for 2 meals a day usually - and they were so different to the ones I have eaten at my local take a way!   Such variety of vegetable dishes along with the staple Dahl, different each time.  I ate so much less meat - perhaps once /twice a week... and how much I enjoyed this.

3. Local people - meeting so many who were so hospitable, kind and thoughtful. I enjoyed walking around not just taking a rickshaw or cab... that is strange, but you do get to see a different perspective and see the same people ..... a friendly  wave and "namaste" means a lot.

4. Birds!  So many were new to me .... from the hoopoe that  landed on the school field on the first day I was teaching to the black kites that circled overhead all the time.  It will take some time for me to look through my photos and identify them.

5. Lake Pichola and sunsets!  So beautiful.


These are all very homely things - I was fortunate to have 4 weeks in Udaipur and because of that I think the homely things are what I will really remember..... and miss!

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment