Friday 9 March 2018

Saturday Sauntering into the old city


Saturday Sauntering in the old city
It’s taken a week for me to get round to writing this …. Let’s just say I have been indisposed!  I am calling it the Udaipur Urge … the local variant of Delhi Belly… I’ll leave you to work out where the urge has to take you!!
Anyway no such urges for a couple of days so I am feeling its now all clear… hopefully!
Last weekend I walked into the old city again – it has been several months since I took that route and I was delighted to find that I still knew the way!  Passing familiar landmarks that now feel like friends, including one of my favourite views of the city.  






I first stopped off at a coffee house I never got round to trying last time – a bit too touristy in many ways but the frappe was excellent.  I enjoyed savouring it and the lake view as I read.  Simple pleasures!






I had a job to do though – collect my new clothes from the tailor – so the next challenge was to find it!  I still feel the old city is a bit like a labyrinth especially as my sense of direction is poor (OK non-existent!).  Hurrah!  I found it ok and collected my new outfits.






The other challenge I had set myself was to find The Courtyard – a restaurant we visited a couple of times when I was here before …. But I had never approached it from this direction… too difficult?? More by luck than judgement I found it first time!  And it seems that the restaurant part is now named “The whistling Teal”. Highly appropriate for a former employee of RSPB!



Although I don’t think the illustrations are teal at all … but never mind!  The town was extremely chaotic today (even more than usual) – apparently on the day after Holi, the police have the day off (as they have worked over the Holi holiday) … the roads were completely rammed with vehicles going wherever and in every direction… without the usual restrictions and barriers!   





 I headed home  with a sense of achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment